Scotch whisky is generally a label given to any whisky distilled in Scotland, however it is also a legal definition. In order to be legally called Scotch, the whisky must meet the standards set out by the Scotch Whisky Order of 1990.
1. Must be distilled at a Scottish distillery from water and malted barley, to which only other whole grains may be added, have been processed at that distillery into a mash, converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems, and fermented only by the addition of yeast,
2. Must be distilled to an alcoholic strength of less than 94.8% by volume so that it retains the flavour of the raw materials used in its production,
3. Must be matured in Scotland in oak casks for no less than three years and a day,
4. Must not contain any added substance other than water and caramel colouring, and
5. May not be bottled at less than 40% alcohol by volume.
Scotches are generally categorized as single malt, vatted malt, blended or single grain.
Single malts are 100% malted barley whisky that are distilled at a single distillery. Vatted malts are uncommon, and refer to whisky made from a blend of several single malt whiskies from multiple distilleries.
Single grain whiskies are those that do not meet the requirements of Single malt, but are distilled at a single distillery. Blended grain is a blend of single grain whiskies.
Serving size: 30mL
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat||0.0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g||0%|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbs.||0 g||0%|
- †: Nutritional information disclaimer
- *: Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your diet needs.
Most popular recipes containing Whiskey, Scotch
- Clockwork Orange Pekoe
- Joe Collins #2
- Avada Kedavra
- Blood and Sand
- Dubai Sunrise
- Highland Fling Cocktail
- Jessica's Good Stuff!
- Scotch Flip
- Whisky Mac
- Velvet Kilt
- Bubba Collins
- The Roots Of Scotch
- Widow Woods' Nightcap
- Scotch Toddy
- Sand Trap
- Scotch Milk Punch
- Scotch Mist
- Affogato al Caffe
- Cameron's Kick Cocktail
Brands and Variations of Scotch whiskey
Chivas Regal is a premium blended Scotch whisky with a long history dating back to the early 1800's, where it was first produced in Aberdeen.
Chivas Regal is one of the best selling premium whiskies in the world. It is produced by Chivas Brothers, and the brand is currently owned by Pernod Ricard.
A blended Scotch whisky made from about 35 grain and malt whiskies.
This was apparently the favorite Scotch of Winston Churchill, who mixed it with soda.