Blue Hawaii Drink Recipe
Serving size: 1 drink
How to Make It
This is the original Blue Hawaii recipe, invented by the legendary Harry Yee in 1957.
- Add pineapple juice to a hurricane glass.
- Add sweet and sour mix next, followed by blue curaçao.
- Add vodka, then finally rum.
- Stir gently, and garnish with a pineapple wedge and a vanda orchid.
- The Blue Hawaii is a classic cocktail designed to be "exotic" for tourists to Hawaii's then burgeoning tourism industry. The more exotic you can make the presentation, the better. Try serving in tiki mugs or inside a coconut!
- The Blue Hawaii is often confused with the Blue Hawaiian for obvious reasons - however, a Blue Hawaiian is made with creme de coconut, whereas a Blue Hawaii is not.
- Harry Yee would garnish his Blue Hawaii drinks with orchids - assuming you don't have any on hand, a cocktail umbrella is a great alternative to go with the pineapple wedge.
- The original Blue Hawaii was made with Bols blue curaçao, which Harry still prefers for this recipe.
Comments on Blue Hawaii
Write a comment
Did you try this drink recipe? Leave a comment!